Thread: Rosin
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow wow...

"Poor guy" I'm saying to myself after reading the post above.

You have a Pollmann Bass? Using a Snakewood bow not because the other bow is broken?

Ok, I assume that you are a professional player from what I have read so we will not go there for now.

Factors that might affect the sound of bowing capabilities?;

1-The Bass (some bow easier than others).

2-The Strings (some work better than others).

3-The set-up between Bass and Strings.

4-The Bow itself (balance and quality matters)

5-The Bow Hair itself (old hair eats rosin and doesn't work well. Bad Hair is just that, bad and low quality)

6-The Re-Hair of your Bow. (this is like set-up. It must be done right but even more important as there is no way for the player to compensate)

7-And last might possibly be the climate but I saved this for last because all of the good rosins you tried just didn't work. If the other players in your area can use them, you should be able to as well.

>Brands I know, have used and have liked?;

>Kolstein's Soft and All Weather

>Oak Rosin (the new stiff)

>Old Swedish Rosin in a tall skinny Foil wrap, red color maybe? was over 20 years ago.

>Petz Rosin (used #3 but about 40 years ago, green colored cover)

>Pop's Rosin

>Carlsson's Rosin (someone left a cake, fairly new on my Bow table at the ISB for days and never came back to claim it)

This is what I can remember. The Carlsson's at the moment seems the best. Very sticky at first but the next day or two or three, I just start to play without adding Rosin that it seems I DO need some but after awhile the Bow starts to grab as if I DID just re-Rosin the Bow. Normally I use Kolstein's All Weather. It is softer than the Oak and harder than Pop's when the Pop's is soft so right in the middle I guess.

So, use the above list of possible causes as a check-list and make sure each item is handled on your Bass. Did your Bass ever Bow well with any other String, any other Bow, any other Rosin? Think back. Also, let other try it and see what their thoughts might be. Maybe it will help and maybe not at all but the more people that look the problem over, the easier it may be to find and fix the problem or problems.