View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by travismoore View Post
Thanks for the info Ken, I appreciate the honesty.

I just found it while looking around ebay and was interested in its origin. The guy does say this "The bass was purchased in the 1960's by a Youth Orchestra player and has had not used since he left the Orchestra not too long after. He purchased it from a retiring professional player who by then would have been well into his later years."

So that probably lines up pretty well with what you said really in terms of how old it is. Its only later he amended it to suggest it was a "blockless wonder" due to someone one telling it so. (I guess they are misinformed). I should probably point out to him that its not.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3509305572...84.m1436.l2649

I have one last question if that is ok. I am actually an electric bass player for the most part and I am looking at starting to learn upright is it worth trying to go for something like that bass (provided it goes for cheap) or it is better to get something newer? Are there pro's/con's?
I see the ad and however informative it is, it can be misleading. The value when restored is not far but the cost to do it professionally and correctly will exceed that.

In the UK, there is a shop (amongst others) called Thwaites. I have met the owner a few times over here and I think they can take care of your Double bass needs at a fair price. Try them first.