View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

There is no standardized way to play. The appropriate height of the instrument will allow you to play through its entire range without having to have your arm reaching too high to play in half position, or conversely forcing you to bend over to play closer to the bridge. There's always that unfortunate trade off when playing such a large instrument.

My best advice in finding the correct height involves the player to stand and use a mirror, a teacher helps of course. The ideal "standard" spot is being able to have your bow arm hang and play halfway between the end of the fingerboard and the bridge. If you're playing in the higher register I push my rear out a bit and let the bass fall into me, or I "hunch" over the shoulders.

This of course is subjective as it relates directly to your height. What's the point in saying, "the F in half pos. should be at your ear..." What happens if you're 6'0" tall?? or conversely 5'3" ???

Karr has the bass so high because he bows directly over the bridge...this "technique" simply does not work for playing in an orchestra.

Rule of thumb...Make the bass as high/low as it needs to be so your bow arm isn't over the fingerboard, or conversely on the bridge. Once you find that sweet spot you can fine tune the height with the relationship to left hand.

I don't know where this entire "your knuckle should hang over the bridge" business came from. When playing the bass there really are no "it has to be's". If your instrument is too high for you you're going to develop a ton of problem for your bow arm and back. Have any of you seen Tom Martin play?? He's about 5'5" and his bow arm is virtually straight in that it just hangs and plays beautifully into the string...There's no silly "knuckle over the bridge" business.

What works for a man/woman of 6'2" is not going to be the same as someone of 5'5"...You also have to take into consideration: The type of music they're playing, the size and shape of their body, and finally the size and shape of their instrument. What's the point of creating rules? The great players always adapt to what works best for their body.

The biggest factor, I think in helping you play the bass is arm length. You can have tiny hands and still find a way to play but having long arms is a BIG help. I'm 5'6" and my upper body is the length of someone of about 5'10" whereas my legs have a 28" inseem...Odd sight, I know! I may be short but I have ridiculous monkey arms which helps a ton.

Moral is...You need to find what you bring the table PHYSICALLY, and then use that to your advantage. So many times you see massive guys with long arms that don't use the muscles they have to their advantage. (This is particularly apparent when you see a guy in an orchestra with the end-pin incredibly far out, yet he/she is still bowing over the fingerboard.

Find your physical strongpoints and utilize them.

Last edited by Calvin Marks; 02-16-2009 at 12:24 PM.