View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

Thanks all, for your detailed responses!

@Arnold- Thanks for your ideas. I can easily play with the tailpiece and the post. I was thinking that. I know you have a very fancy high saddle, and I wil probably be up your way in July. I hope to drop by the shop and bring the bass. I might play with the saddle height in the mean time. Also, I will throw a different G string on there to see if it feels better. I just like the way these sound on the bass. I don't believe there is excessive camber on the board, but I will get out my straight edge and turn out the lights.

@Eduardo- The nut is pretty low. I will double check with a couple of business cards, but it should be really close.

@Ken and Eric- I know that my overstand needs to be corrected, that is a fact. I am planning on bringing the bass with me to see Arnold this summer, so maybe he will be able to look it over and come up with a plan. I just need a "band-aid" right now. The bass is not unplayable, but it is harder to play that I would like. I am playing unaccompanied Bach, and a few other things that the tension makes harder to articulate with the left hand.

@All, the bass sounds really good. I just want to optimize it's playability. In the long term, I want to look at a neck reset and shortening the string length. In the short term, I want to try the most effective things I can comfortably do quickly to make it feel better to play. I can handle TP wires, bridge, FB dressing, SP movement, installing a different saddle, etc... and I should have a little time this weekend. (Thanks Presidents!)

I appreciate the suggestions,
Brian