View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink Play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
I would like to play with the EQ switches in my bass one day.
Ok, what are you waiting for better weather?

It would be best to sit down with your best Amp (if you have more than one) and try different positions with each band, take notes of what you hear and then set the 3 bands to the settings you liked most. That's how we did ours because the way the Mid works the cut and the Boost can be sweeter or drier depending on the setting and your Amp as well. Just a frequency # in itself does not necessarily equal a sound in your head. You have to hear it live in a room through your Amp.

Somewhere I have these #s written down but filed them. If it was something of importance, I would have remembered where I put them. Once I found the settings I liked, all else no longer mattered. We marked on the diagram the shop setting we used as well as the original settings that we have on the 9 volt unit we have been using since 1986. The current preset positions of the DIP is the best combination to my ear.

If you have different tastes than I do or use a different Amp or play a different style which all 3 are possible, then play with your switches as much as you like to see if you can find something that works better for you.

Two things though: First, don't break anything in there. It's a tight work space and repairs can be costly. Second, don't forget what the original settings were in case you like what you had to begin with.