View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rapadas View Post
Richard,I know that's how it is.BUT,...I will be playing(on a few songs) DB in a Indie,lo-fi setting,i.e. Tom Waits,..ect..So,I will be playing gigs with DB before I (in My mind)I even know how to play it.I guess I'm overconfident but,..Heck!!!

On another note,I want to ask,what do you(or anyone) think I should begin my DB studies in?Jazz?Classical?I respect and love all music.I'm thinking Jazz since I don't know if I will ever play in an orchestral setting.
But, ya never know!.....maybe both!!BTW it's great to be starting with a clean slate!(I will be able to learn things the rite way!!).....Chris.

BTW,I played on a bandstand from the 4th to 12th grade so I remember 6-8 people playing the same part!Trumpet though,...wrong clef......
Chris, get a bow and do some scales and get a book like Simandl (guys like Ken will probably know of better books that are now available).
Start by working out all your major scales and arpeggios and practise them around the cycle of 4ths. If you build up some' Classical' technique, whatever you finish up playing will sound better. Ah, I love Tom Waits!
Remember that the DB really is just a big bass guitar, you can do it!... oops, someone will give me a hard time for saying that!