Thread: Am I an IDIOT?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Posting Member

Kirk P Brosius is on a distinguished road
Default Am I an IDIOT?

Hello all,

The answer to the posted "Q" must be; YEP!

I have been using Ken Smith Compressors on my BSR5MW, for a couple of years, with very good results. I replace them about once a year and to prolong their life I've taken them off and cleaned them with de-natured alcohol on more than a few occasions with good results, again. This is until last week when my masterplan went wrong!

I was invited to play at the Grand Junction Art & Jazz Festival, with the Jason Runnells Trio, opening for the great Hazel Miller who is a true R&B icon fom the Denver, CO area. Jason plays some very tastey jazz'ish originals and covers. On Tuesday before the gig off the strings for a quick cleaning and during the re-install phase I porceeded to break the "A" and "D" strings!!???!!! I am usually very careful when doing this and was shocked when it happened. I "NEVER" break strings!! I will have to admit that I was a bit rushed and most likely crossed the windings.

The solution? PLAN AHEAD.

I put on a spare set of RockMasters (40-120) and just put up with the "zingy-ness" for the 1 1/2 hour set.

I have a new set of Compressors coming from PA, thanks Noel.

Lesson learned: PLAN AHEAD
WORK SLOWLY
BE PREPARED

Thanks for a moment of your time, Kirk