View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up well..

It would be difficult to list all the versions of the PAS II we made as well as the S II Set-neck models that were made. I would guess about 30-40 neck thru's at most, from memory of course. I don't have records from back then but I do have pictures in my files. Maybe 70% of the first 200 basses or so, maybe more. I think we made more or as many in the set-neck (dovetail) models as we did in the neck-thru models like yours.

The neck center on yours is Mahogany. I made a few in 5-pc as well and some I remember may have been 3pc maple with 2 veneer strips around the center of a rosewood 'like' wood and color. I experimented back then and did them several ways, some with out without Graphite. I inlaid the Graphite fibers mixed in epoxy myself. It was not as safe to do back then but I managed. No one else in the shop would touch the carbon fibers.

Nice bass there and glad to see it's been loved so much for so many years. Puts a smile on my face every time I see one of the earlier basses still strong and healthy..