View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Tuners..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Lamarre's sculpting work is as usual quite stunning. For me, the decoration under the button is most impressive and I really like his violin corners. I've never been keen on his choice of tuners though. For a bass of that class and expense, even though he decorates the peg ends, for me they don't seem to match the work.

I'd like to see more detail on how his adjustable tailpiece works!
Those are the new Rubners. I put a set with Ebony on my Batchelder about 6 years ago and they worked quite well. Not as finely tunable as Sloans or Krutz gears but nearly the best hatpegs I had seen. Great for changing strings as well.

You would be surprised at how many Italian makers put Hatpegs on the bases they made over the last 200 years as opposed to the better looking French or Baker style English gears that were available for the most part.

Maybe it's the wood thing they had in mind thinking mainly of the tone. The less metal, the better theory. You think? Even Sergio Scaramelli uses them today on his Basses. I have seen them up close and personal. They work just fine. Scaramelli also put rosewood Rubners on my martini back in 1999 when he restored it. Back then, I didn't like them so I changed them out for the Krutz. Looking back now, I would have left them on if I had it to do over again.