View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Brightness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Barbosa View Post
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone have ever noticed any difference in sound when installing aluminum bridge adjusters for arco playing only.
I am the only one that has adjusters in the section. The other 4 basses have solid bridges. One of my basses has the Kolstein bridge with the wooden adjusters. And it seems fine. My other bass has aluminum adjusters. I never cared because that is my "jazz" bass. But occasionally I'll take it to an Orchestra rehearsal and I've been wondering if the brightness that I am hearing is just more noticeable when playing arco.
Thank you.
Bowing on your Jazz bass in an Orchestra? What kind of bass and how different is it from Your Orchestra bass? Also, and very important, what strings are on the Jazz bass and Orchestra bass?

I will bet you that the difference is the bass first and the Strings second that makes the difference. The Adjusters are way down the list in my book. For me, I like the adjusters that are the easiest to turn. I am not going to try various types in the same bridge and bass to see how the sound changes. You can't compare adjusters from one bass to another. It can only be compared with the exact same bass and bridge.