View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 03:36 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool the same?

No, Three different Basses from 3 different websites including mine. I think that all 3 are nearly identical on the Button carving vein. The Bisch is like the first two which was the reason I started this Thread.

The Bisch was once listed on consignment at a Shop a few years ago. In speaking with them I mentioned that I thought the Bass although branded Bisch was actually made in the Collin-Mezin shop and may very well be. More recently one in London popped up and that Bass although similar to the C-M Basses are different looking close and just similar but not identical to the other two C-M's. Then I saw this Jacquet Bass with the same Scroll and gears but the Varnish didn't match which made us believe it was a replacement. When the article came out about the various Trade Guilds in 19th century France, it got me thinking again. One other factor is Paul Bisch himself who has placed that very same Stamp as on that back Button on the sticks of numerous Bows. In reading up on him I find that he is not listed as a Bow maker nor is he considered to be one. I just heard that Bisch was a Dealer who did train in Violin making but later became a Dealer in France. So, what did Bisch actually make himself Bass-wise? Maybe nothing!

From now on, I will start looking closer at every Bass I see with that Scroll on it. I am thinking now that the Scrolls although most likely all from the same shop, do not actually ID the maker of the Bass. That's my position at this time.

Period wise I think we are looking at 1905 to about 1950 or so. The Pear shaped Basses did keep coming out of France but all the Scrolls like this one with those Gears seem to be on Basses from the 1920s-'30s so far.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 08-24-2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: 4 Scrolls now pictured..