View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool humm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Levi View Post
I'm interested in the definition of the term 'full restoration'. I'm guessing that it implies that an instrument that has been fully restored should structurally and visually be the same as the original maker intended ? Or would that be a re-build?
I have seen several of Ken's basses that look to be in pretty good condition already but have gone off for restoration ! I suppose for re-sell reasons this is probably a good idea.
You can't tell the condition by pictures alone. So so many things are involved in a restoration. It can include all the Blocks removed, cleaned and re-glued, every Rib straightened and re-repaired. Blocks replaced if they don't go back in, bass bar, neck graft and.. top pressing, top and back repairs as well as varnish re-touching.

Restorations can include less as well. Old basses sometimes have worm damage. This is like 'micro Swiss cheese' holes in the bass. This needs to be repaired and filled as best as possible as well. I currently have at least two basses with worm damage repair and they sound great!

Replacing Scrolls is a no-no in almost all cases. New backs and Tops are replacement repairs, not restorations. If it's new it's repaired, NOT restored.

A good restoration should look like it hasn't been altered. Alterations should be done tastefully if modifying the bass. Many many old basses have been modified to meet current playing standards and were improved in the process. Just as many I am sure were butchered!

Ah, why do you ask? Do you have a project bass ready to go 'under the knife'?