View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Kaplan's and the Deluxe Flex.

Ok, I posted above about the Flexocor Deluxe of which I have a set on one of my basses now. These did not have a name yet when I got the sample set so they were on the bass and being tested before I knew what they were to be called. I have to say they have improved in the short time since putting them on. I tried them on the Hart at first and took them right off as they didn't have the sound that I like on that bass. Then, I put them on the Mougenot and they were better but didn't knock me out. Now that they have settled in, they are very nice. They 'are' the Deluxe of the Flexocor sets, close to the 92s I would say in gauge but not sound. They are also similar in gauge to the regular Passione but have much more sound. This is the best new set Pirastro has put out in general since the Evah's. The Passione Starks I think work better for firm playing as the regular set is a bit light.

On the Kaplan's, I just put a set on my Hart, replacing the Passione Starks. I was not sure at first if they worked better for me on that bass but after playing just a few minutes with the strings at pitch, I think these are nice sounding strings. Sort of a mix of sound between Evah's, Passione's and Flexocor 92s. The have more grit than 92s but smoother than the Passione's. The turn less than Evah's and have more sustain in the pizz than the Passione's. The Kaplans are also a lighter gauge string but soft under the fingers like Evah weichs, just not as thick.

The Hart is my main bass. If I don't like the string as soon as I put it on, it comes right off. A bummer for my fingers, hands and arms changing strings again not to mention the time wasted, but it does happen. I have to like the string in minutes. IF, I like the string which is the case with the new Kaplan's, they stay on the bass and I play them until I don't like them or they wear out.

Strings that I like that I have used and tested and continue to buy for various basses I play, buy and sell include Flexocor 92s (regular and stark), Evah's (reg and stark), Belcantos and Passione's (reg and stark). I also mix on occasion a regular set with a stark E. I buy other strings as well for the basses here in complete and mixed sets as needed but they are not what I like to use personally. As I have said many times before, some basses work better with some strings. Also, depending on what I am playing with 'that' bass, I might need something different. If playing an Orchestra gig or a Jazz gig, I might need different sets for the same bass. Sometimes I am either too lazy to make the change or it's not worth it just for a gig or two as putting strings on and off shortens their life. My personal optimum string for a particular bass is one that works for both Jazz pizz and Orchestra bowing. Sometimes, the bass itself only does one thing good and the other only fair at best. This is a different topic but for now, I think the Kaplans will work for what I have coming up which includes Beethoven's 9th next week, New World Sym.(and more) early next month and a Pop's concert with a few pieces to be played with pick-up and amp. Three different orchestras and three different bass sections with one of the other guys in all three sections with me as well. Seven/7 basses for the 9th and 4 basses for the other two concerts. Two of the guys playing the Pop's thing played with me last week in another orchestra concert so as you can see, I need to spend my time practicing throughout the season and not changing strings or adjusting my bass. I like set the bass up with workable versatile strings and play them till they wear out. Then, I put on the same set new again if they worked well of if I think I need to try one of my other favorites, I put them on. If a new sting comes out, I don't always try them on my main bass. It depends on many things which bass I test new strings.

So, a thumbs up for both these new sets but on my Hart, my main bass, the Kaplan's stay on for now. The Flexocor deluxe are staying as well on the Mougenot. They sound great on that bass. I played back to back a few weeks ago in a B'way type show pit and then did an Orchestra rehearsal. It worked out fine. I also played an Orchestra concert about two months ago with the Mougenot when I first put the Deluxe set on and they were a bit bright for my ear but no one seemed to mind.

Brighter and slightly tighter with smooth bowing, Flexocor Deluxe.

Smooth deep/clear tone with a flexible feel, the new Kaplan's.