View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Holsopple is on a distinguished road

I tried alot of different stuff early on, but ended up with SWR cabs in the early 90's with Crest power and an Ampeg SVT Pro preamp. However, I had driver issues with the SWR cabs.
So in '95 I went to Rockvale Music in MD and walked outta there with 2 Eden 118XL's, a 410XLT and a D210 (later replaced with a 210XLT) and a Navigator preamp was added 2 years later. I've never looked back....

I have never had an issue with the Eden cabs until recently. Both 10's in the 210XLT are creased where the cone joins the surrounds- over excurtion. Says alot for the voice coils- the cones are tearing themselves apart, but there is no voice coil rub. They are starting to sound a bit funky.... not in a good way kinda funky, either. Time for reconing. It's by no fault of the speakers, tho. I've pounded the livin' daylights out of these cabs and they just keep coming back for more. I know they're not for everyone, but I love the sound.
Last year I got rid of the heavy Crest and went to a QSC PLX2402. Not bad at all, but I don't believe it has quite the oomph down below of the Crest. Especially when I drop the low 'B' to 'G#'

Chris