Thread: White Cedar
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Morris Arboretum??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tranauskas View Post
I spoke with Dr. (I can't use his name) at Morris Arboretum about the Cedar early in the day, before I dropped the tree. They have several cedars on campus that look to be about 150' tall.
He told me that the American (aka Atlantic) cedar is quick to germinate but slow to grow.
He also told me that the tree would probably not survive if extensive excavation occurred within the drip line. (The new building footer is approximately 1.5 lnft from the base of the tree.)
The interesting thing about the growth rings is that some are very wide apart and others are much closer together. I guess that the tree had experienced some growth spurts in the past.
I have owned the house for 13 years and it really did grow a lot in that time.

Ken, when you chose the black walnut for the most fantastic BG's ever produced do you look at the growth rings on the log or do you have it cut into planks first before you accept it? How do you know the wood will have all of the required figure? Is it hit and miss?

I have about (30) black walnut trees. Most are heavily damaged by carpenter ants.
I might be off topic but how do you tell when the wood will make a good bass?

I do believe there will be enough wood for at least (2) walk-in humidors.

First off, I just did a concert there a few weeks ago over at the Morris Arboretum.. Huge place..

On the wood, these is a secret about the crotch area I cannot divulge but in all fairness, until the wood is sliced into planks and then ripped again for book matching, you never know what could be there. We have had wood come in with ants, carpenter ants, pincher bugs and yellow jackets. I keep 2 cans of bug spray handy for this occasions.