Thread: Roebuck Bass?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Posting Member

Brian Casey is on a distinguished road
Default Roebuck Bass?

So, I've been looking at older basses - with more complex sonorities than my Christopher 401F - around my area for a few months now.

I'm very curious about what any of you might be able to tell me about this bass. Here's what I know, from the seller:

- Turn of the Century carved German 7/8 with 42" SL
- Complete Restoration just finished by Don Kinch, Portland, Or.
- Formerly a Blockless Bass, added block was part of recent restoration
- Humped sides as they approach the heel, as seen in photos
- Reportedly made for Sears Roebuck for Mail Order business
(I've never heard of this, but the seller seems to consider it a real possibility...)

and my own impressions:

- Hat peg ends cut off; no longer rounded, but saw marks visible
- Varnish touched up and still a little tacky... ( I don't like the feel, but does this matter?)
- Nice, Big sound, but I think still settling in. Has the complexity of sound I'm looking for in a bass
- Neck feels like a V; not thick side to side, but seems very deep in the middle....Kind of uncomfortable and part o fmy hesitency, along with the cut Hat Pegs and 'sticky' varnish.

I'm just curious if anyone has anything specific to add from what I've mentioned ( especially the Sears Roebuck comment) or from the pictures.

This is in the top three basses I'm considering, and is the lowest asking price. (I'm not mentioning the asking price at this time to keep any replies uncolored by that information. I'll happily respond with the asking price upon request...)

I appreciate in advance thoughts or information any of you might offer on this instrunent.

brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dan's Bass Full.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	168  Click image for larger version

Name:	Dan's Bass Side.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	169  Click image for larger version

Name:	Dan's Bass back.jpg