Thread: J B Vuillaume
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool fake labels..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Right. It's been written, referring to the violin trade, that 90% of labels are fake. Some experts, however, can tune in to a particular maker's handwork, style, model, f-hole, etc., and provide an appraisal that is above reproach. Then again, certain violins known as Strads for the last century or so, have recently been "proven" to be English, from a Century later.

There is a big difference between "made by", "from the shop of", "school of", and "in the style of". Unfortunately, all this vagueness makes buying an expensive instrument a bit un-nerving, which is why one should always seek out multiple opinions from practitioners one can trust. As far as "Vuillaume" basses go, like Ken said above, I would put them in the category of "from the shop of".
Ok on the 90% BUT that includes the many thousands of Violins made in the 19th century with various names inside, Strad leading the group.

In the case of basses and aside from the obvious factory made instruments, I don't know if 90% is correct. Maybe if you add in the false attributions you can get to that number. I have however found a few authentic basses over time but everything is suspect at the start.

Newer makers are easier to find as those names are not old enough yet to be used for fakes. On the other hand, if it's a famous name, it can be used. Many late 19th century thru early and mid 20th century Italian names are being found in violins thru basses today made anywhere from Hungary to even Italy. It is much easier to fake 50 or 100 years than 200-300 years or more.

An Italian bass from the early 20th century being sold for less than a factory Juzek is very suspect regardless of condition. Within that 90% number, the Juzek basses help push that percentage to its top because there is no such thing as a bass made by Juzek and there never was. They are all fakes or more politely, a brand 'sold by'. imported by' and maybe, a slight maybe, designed by'.

When I bought my Martini from Italy Arnold asked me to make sure it's not a fake because it was very possible. When he saw it in person shortly after it arrived, all suspicions were removed. It was the real thing. Lucky me..

With Vuillaume, I hear that name used so much as if he specialized in Basses. How can you tell a French Bass, 'false' cello model, round or flat back bass from the makers like Bernardel, Claudot, Derezay, Gand, Barbe, Jacquet, Lamy etc. IF, they all look so alike. Not to mention, some of the scrolls and varnishes were made within the guild trade as required by law then.

I heard of a beautiful Lamy getting restored and when it was nearly done, the Shop owner put in a Gand label to sell it for more. Who could tell?