View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Posting Member

Jeff Campbell is on a distinguished road
Default More Mittenwald

Thanks Ken,

Very interesting. I heard the name Venner from an English bass luthier. He was helping me id my Mittenwald bass and said he had one coming into his shop that was very similar to mine made by Venner. On my bass, (the one with the plates on the scroll) there is very clear evidence that some of the inner bracing has been replaced. It is very obvious that someone along the way filled the spaces where the braces used to fit into the linings. I think the four braces. along with the center brace have been replaced. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/4019654...7620999354851/) Photos I've seen in the Elgar book show a Neuner and Hornsteiner bass where the braces were 'let into' the linings - including the center brace. On my bass, you can see where the center brace used to fit under neath the corner blocks. The aforementioned English luthier sent me a photo of the inside of a N & H bass where it was clear that all the inside bracing was fit into the inside linings...My bass is so close to shape, size, etc. (even having the same small-cogged gears) that I'm fairly sure mine is from the same maker - I know that N & H put the label on the center brace and since mine has been replaced, it makes sense that may a reason that here is no label in my bass.

In terms of sound between the two, both are very deep and resonant; organ like if you will. My bass is a little more deep while the other bass is a little more sweet.