View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 03:42 AM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

I got to a point where there was only so much value I got out of practicing. I'm not into widdling or fancy pyrotechnics. As impressed as I am by others who can do that, its just not soul food to me.

However there's nothing to compensate for playing with other musicians who are more skilled and can push me. I'm real lucky in London in that they have kids in diapers here who can run rings around many 70's session pro's thanks to the likes of places like London Music School and Bass/Drum/Vocaltech.

For instance I checked out a funky house band on Thursday (www.myspace.com/drivinmecrazymusic) which had been put together by a kiwi guitarist I know and he'd pretty much skimmed the cream of recent graduates from these schools. The result was an astoundingly tight band.

The drummer in particular blew my mind because he was relentless in belting 11 shades of sh*t out of his kit and EVERY single note was machine precision perfect. I had to get up to the front of the stage and check he wasn't plugged into a click. I've got the guys details so I may drop him a line when I get my own function band sorted out.

Experiences like that are what drive me to do better.