Thread: spruce or ....
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool also..

Most American Basses from the 19th century that I have seen were made with local Pine. Usually New England White Pine but not exclusively. Many English Basses were also made with imported American pine, Pitch Pine and Yellow pine. I have basses with these tops made in England. Also, quite a few Italian basses were made with slap cut local growth pine as it was available for one and also cheaper for the least important string instrument of its time.

From what I have seen on old Basses, grain direction and tone have no correlation. They do have strength issues between them being that the straighter the stronger and the higher arch stronger than the flatter is stronger as well. Flat sawn and flat arch = sunken top. Tight straight grain and high arch = a tight top..

On most Basses from France on east to Vienna, most of what I have seen is straight grained Spruce. Some older Viennese basses are occasionally made with irregular grain and multi piece tops like some Italians but from the most part, central Europe used straight grained Euro spruce.