Thread: bow options
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Lists at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Holden View Post
Hey Guys, What's the deal with Peasold? I gave them a call and talked to a guy that speaks English. They handmake all their bows in house (in Germany) and it is either made by a master bowmaker or reviewed and approved by him. That being said, why are their prices so reasonable? A Pernambuco stick, silver hardware, and highly figured abalone slide, eye and button lists at only $1,068.
So, if it Lists at $1068. what does a Dealer pay wholesale after a distributor gets his cut? How much does Paesold actually collect for the Bow themselves?

Go over to West Germany and see if you can watch someone there actually making an entire Bow. Then, go over to the Pfretzschner Shop and watch them.

List is not usually Street Price. The Street can be 20-40% lower. Then figure the Dealer is making 30-40% on average to stay in business and then YOU do the math.

So, my top Bows LIST for $800, Street is $600 and Discounted we sell them for $480. What does that mean? Less middle men I think! I doub't any of the USA Dealers actually buy direct from the Factory. Paesold is sold thru distributors in USA. Now, do not doubt the possibility that the can come from China by way of Germany.

The Last time I was in Germany, the costs were somewhat equal to here. Also, the Euro is now at about $1.31 so they are doing very well if they are buying from China. If the Dollar was equal to the Euro now, the List would only be about $815. and thats going thru a distributor and then to a Dealer and then to you.

So, all things being equal, the List is actually higher for the dealer to make money. If my top Bows were sold that way, the LIST would be $1,200.

Judge a Bow by the Bow and not by the List business and remember to count all the people making money along the way. Then think to yourself 'can this be true'? If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't!