View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Bass tested..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
My understanding is that these strings are to be considered "hybrids". So I put them on a bass that is going to be used for both arco and pizz. This bass was recently upgraded by me with some regraduation, a new bass bar and a new neck. It's a good instrument. I'm going to let the strings break in for a while, and let some other people play it. I'll post my findings here. What I wrote above was simply my first impression.
Thank's for pointing that out. I know you did some work but didn't know just how much. Again, for myself mainly, I can only tell how a String actually is in comparison by testing them on a Bass that I know. Of course just putting them an a Bass you can tell if they work well on that Bass or not but not really know how the fair with other strings on the same Bass. Sometimes I have switched strings 6 times over only to discover that the first set I had on was the best for that Bass to begin with within the same condition and set-up.

One other thing I want to point out is the usage intended for 'that' Bass. Only a few Basses I have owned works well for both Jazz or Classical with the same exact set of strings and set-up. My Gilkes and Cornerless Bass seem to do anything with a good set of strings on it. The Martini however is so dark on the bottom that for Jazz only I would want a brighter type jazz string.