Thread: 'The Bass'
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool condition and sound..

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hosking View Post
Neat bass, Ken! Hats off to you for taking on the responsibility for restoring yet another irreplaceable instrument!

Given all that burled maple, is the bass very heavy?

Arnold had noted that the cornerless shape may be the best shape for DB frequency production: is the instrument super responsive (asked by a ply-owner)?

As monstrous as the sound now is, how do you imagine the sound will be after restoration?
The Bass is not that heavy. Most of my Basses weigh between 20 and 25lbs on the scale out of the case. Now that you asked, I will weigh this one tomorrow. I looked well inside the Bass yesterday while doing so basic set-up alterations and I am confident it can be played as-is for awhile. It was purchased by the previous owner around 1962 and the extension was put on a few years later by DeLucchia. Not much has been done to it other then 'needed' repairs in that time. This will be its first full restoration in our lifetime.

The low end vibrates my gut and ribs when I play the Bass. After restoration I can only imagine the sound to be tighter and back to its Organ-like tone when it breaks in again from the new wood inside.

I have had at least 5 Basses in the past that were fully restored with 'everything' needed being done to it regardless of cost. Each and every Bass was improved from day one after the restoration and every Bass mellowed with time afterwards as the new wood settled in and Bass re-developed itself.

Edit: Ok, I weighed the Bass on a UPS scale and without anything attached other than the Endpin which I cut 6" off the rod ( I use only the 1st or 2nd notch) the Bass weighs just about 25lbs. It doesn't feel that heavy. The Bollbach Lion is 25lbs, the Gilkes about 24+ and then downwards from there. The Prescott was around 30ish.. ouch!

Last edited by Ken Smith; 02-08-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: weight..