View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up PAPA at Guitar Con

At this weeks show in NJ I ran into Jazz Guitarist Frank DiBussolo who was scheduled to do a solo Show each afternoon. When I read on-line that he was scheduled to play I called him before driving down to let him know I would be there with Bass in hand. We had done a few gigs together before getting busy with the local Orchestra work about 5-6 years ago.

Well, there was a sound system set-up on the small stage so I used my PAPA, plugged it into the system (Frank did as well) and EQ'd the bass as needed and just played. The Bass sounded great on stage and according to the audience as well.

Because I had the PAPA and a nice set of head phones, I didn't bother bringing an Amp for the show to demo the Smith basses either. I knew that the PAPA could work just as well if I needed to demo the Basses on display.

The last concert I played I had my 3/4 old Bohemian bass. This time I brought the 7/8 Mittenwald which I have used for some Jazz tunes within a Classical Concert but never thru the PAPA.

I have to tell you that the more I use this PAPA, the more I see how valuable it can be. The EQ is clean and pure sounding.

I had a borrowed AMP in the booth each day but plugged into the sound system direct with the PAPA, the Amp as not missed at all!

When it got loud from all the Guitars blasting their licks, I used the headphones to practice my orchestra music which I had brought along as well. I felt almost like I was in another place..