View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb G & D only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Yeabsley View Post
My New Standard Cleveland arrived last week, it came strung with Spiro Mittels. There was also a set of the new Eurosonic strings in the box.

The Spiros: I liked the E and A, big and growly and I could bow them alright.
The tension was a shock to me though! I've gotten used to the 1/2 gut setup on my Christopher flatback, and the Spiros in combination with the longer string length on the Cleveland felt like bridge cables.

The spiro G and D were boingy, I'm sure they would settle down in time- but this gave me an excuse to put on the Eurosonic G and D.
Euro G and D on the Cleveland: The tension is slightly lower than the Mittels. The sound is darker (less highs?) and rounder, less raw. They bow nicely and feel more civilised than the spiros.

This morning I tried the Eurosonic G and D on my 2 year old carved Christopher with a Mittel E and Innovation A. Nice!
-The tension has gone down significantly compared to the same strings on the Cleveland. Feels more like Weichs now. The sound is still civilised- and the attack and the bloom hang together.
Try the whole set on one of your Basses. The Bass may take a few days itself to adjust to the tension. Then, bow and pizz them and see what I am talking about. I just got 3 new Basses in and set them all up with Eurosonics and they are all sweet with Bow or Pizz. Truly one of the great new strings out there deserving wider recognition.