View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 05:40 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool But how do they amplify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Evah Pirazzi Weich strings- I like them very very much. In fact, I suspect that they are my favourite string of all time - for both arco and pizz.
But how do they amplify? I did a gig with my brother a little while ago and it was the first time I'd amplified these strings.. the first time I'd played them through my amp. They had a lot more bottom end (than the Spiros and BCs), which threw me a little, but they did the job fine.
Today I played amplified in a venue in Wellington that is known to be boomy. The EPs had a great fundamental and handled the gig well. These are great strings and I love them.
I used them twice with an amp over a year ago on two different basses, my Martini with a big band and the Mougenot (before restoration) with an Orchestra Pops concert doing some Ellington and Gershwin playing in the rhythm section. I generally use a Shadow brand pickup that looks like an Underwood copy. I think pickup type might matter here as well for how they amplify.

They seems to have a wider type sound response almost like with gut strings but being that the were on bigger, deeper type basses than the typcal 3/4 German carved bass used by so many in Jazz, I ended up playing harder on the strings at times resulting in getting a blister from chasing the attack of the string. If the bass is loser feeling with these Weichs, they you can't play them too hard. Right now, I have another new set on the Mougenot post-restoration, put on at a request of a customer trying out the bass a month or so ago. They sound good now as they did before but for bowing, I would prefer a full bowing metal string like Belcantos, Jargars, Flexocors, Passiones or Orig FlatChromes which all seem to grab the bow faster and cleaner sounding as well.