View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Student Bass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Hang on, what I'm trying to work out is how you are so certain that the bass that Matt asked about is Chinese, sight-unseen? The price 100GBP is the price Matt wants to offer the school, not the retail price.

You might well be right, but we don't have any pictures of it. For all we know it could be a student bass made in England 30 or 40 years ago, no?
Yes, we need to see pics to be more certain but as for value, that's where I made my opinion?

I am not aware or any English Makers making 'student Basses' in the UK. The closest I think you can come to an English Student Bass are the German Made Hawkes of about 80-100 years ago.

Finding an English Bass make made for budget is like finding an Italian Bass as well. They just didn't do low cost production Basses at all as far as the history goes that I know of. England imported from Germany and France for their low cost Basses. They did make trade instruments 150-250 years ago to compete with imports (mostly in the violins) but any Bass found today from that period being English in make would still command a fairly high price well into 5 figures.