View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Junior Posting Member

Bram Schoonderbeek is on a distinguished road
Default My trip to Florida and reaching my goal... a Smith a Smith!!!!

Hi there,

Allready half a year being busy to get myself a knock-out Smith bass..
Being these are not cheap instruments my basic motivation was to try some different basses of the same brand next to eachother and choose-out wich to buy. Prior to all of this I kept this forum in check ofcourse and also I began to collect all kinds of youtube clips and sound recordings of smith basses, so that I knew what was what I liked and what a real good smith bass sounded like. I had allready played on one Smith that was for sale in the Netherlands, actually this is the exact bass you see in the previous post, Peter's bass. I was amazed how easy it was to navigate on that 6-string bass, never played 6 strings before so this was a fantastic experience.

Anyways I made a desicion to go to a place in the US where they had piles of Smith's in store.
This place being Bass Central Fern Park near Orlando.
I tried about 7 instruments in total among a second hand BSR6EG a new BSR5TN and some BSR*MW's, and just because I was curious an Elrick. These guys where nice enough to unpack a few instruments as they have most of their stock stuff in in boxes... I mean thats service!.Tho all instruments where pretty good, they did vary alot more in quality then I had enticipated. After a few hours of switching back and forth only a second-hand BRS5MW and the 5TN where left over, and purely cos the 5MW was less than half the costs and had the most monstrous low-B I ever heard plus being incredible even, I took the less impressive looks of the 5MW for granted and bought that thing right there and then WHOOHOO! Now being home again I couldnt be more happier, cos now I know I got a really really good Smith, and together with my Glockenklang rig it is something else I tell you!

Last edited by Bram Schoonderbeek; 11-30-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: adding picks