View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
I think I just drooled on my keyboard...
Keyboards I don't have. lol.. Basses I do.

The Bollbach was picked for a master Class and Solo recital by Leon Bosh last year after trying all of the other basses here in my shop including the Hart and Marconcini basses. The Bollback just projected better tuned up a step 'with' orchestra Bell Cantos on each bass. Leon mentioned he was using Original Flat Chromes Orchestra gauge and tuning them up a step. When I tuned up the Bel's on each bass, I was pleasantly surprised how well they worked up a step. The Bollbach currently has Permanents on it. I tuned them up the other day and they sound and fell great in solo tuning as well.

My basses that are going to the show have a good mix of strings on them as well. Bollbach/Perm's, Hart/Bel's, Marconcini/Evah Weichs, JB Allen/Flex 92s, Panormo/Jargar Dolce, Mougenot/Flex 92s w/Stark E/C.

If any serious shoppers have suggestions for other string types they would be interested in trying on a bass, let me know and maybe I can bring some extra sets from what I have in stock.

I have other varieties of strings I use on some basses here that are not going to the show as well. The old Bohemian Lion/Flexocor Deluxe, Prague Laske/Passione, Kreutzer/Bel's w/Flex Stark E/C and Bel's as well on my Old Tirol.

So, I do try various type of strings here., I also have some Spiro Weichs as well as Helicores in both reg., solo and Ext. e/c sets.

I tried tuning the Evah Weichs up to solo on the Marconcini and they work fine as well being a soft set to begin with.

There is also a possibility that I will have a few more basses at the booth fresh out of repair/set-up from one of my Luthiers is he can make the trip up. I think my booth space is rated comfortably for 10 basses. That might be my number for this show.