View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Panormo School Basses..

I am looking to find as many pictures of genuine Vincenzo Panormo basses as possible, preferably London made. I would also love to see at least one Bass made by his recorded assistant William Taylor, made either in the Panormo shop 'as a Panormo' possibly or in Taylor's own shop. I have read that most of his work is unlabeled.

Over the years I have seen quite a few Basses called a Panormo but in most cases, the attribute was wishful thinking at best. One English Bass I once had made in either the Dodd or Betts shop had a quite a few Italian features and one of those common to the work of Panormo. In the shop of John Betts he made instruments as ordered and with the materials given to him. He was also to complete the work within a given schedule. Work like this I would not consider a true Panormo as they were not of his design or made of his chosing all around. That being said, there are many instruments out there by his hand attributed to that Shop and not Panormo.

On the other hand, I have seen a few Panormo-esque Basses made around his period in London or slightly after that might or might not be Panormo.

A true V. Panormo to my understanding has a round back with an upper angle break. Those that I have seen attributed to him with Flatbacks are at best made in another shop or possibly with his assistance but not a Panormo made Panormo Bass model. There are Basses out there attributed to his sons Joseph and George as well. I assume the same percentage of error in those attributes as having a 'famous' instrument is much more interesting than one of no name at all!

So, point me in the the direction of some pictures of Panormos if you can find them.