View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool links..

Thanks for the links. I am mainly interested in the Round Back models by 'old' Panormo, Vincenzo. I have never seen one that was Flatback and authentic. The Grossman Bass I think is a Lott, not a Panormo. The outer linings and other features look more Lott/Dodd style than anything else to me.

The Molitz/Gage bass is beautiful as is the one from Gallery. The Jack Hill(Filo/Martin) Bass is nice I assume but the pictures do not do it justice. I am sure it sounds great because I know who bought it and he's very picky.

Those three look like the real deal. The 5-string Gagliano in the Elgar book is actually attributed to either George or Joseph Panormo. It is a 4-string now once again.

I have here in my posession a Panormo (or School) Bass that had been re-varnished when it came in for sale and also needing a huge restoration. The Varnish was touched up a bit during the restoiration but still, not the same flavor of a real Panormo in the finish. The Scroll I think was left original thankfully. Hopefully I can get some good pictures up on my website soon and post it. This one is a 4/4 sized bass with a slight block cut getting the string length down to 42" with a newly grafted flamed maple Neck with D-heel. It looks like all the other 'real' Panormos but without any certification.

The more I see the better. That's the only way to know how close a bass is to an original.