View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool More on the man known as V.Panormo..

I have been reading thru my various collection of books and they all say the same more or less about Panormo. Some more and some less.

On one website they show the bass as made by 'Vincenzo Trusiano Panormo'. I thought at first that was just some fancy way or making it look better on line until I read more about him. One of the best descriptions I found on Panormo is in one of my oldest books which is by George Hart, the son of John Thomas H. whom I have a bass of his here as well.

Here are some basics on Panormo. His name is NOT Panormo! The family name is actually Trusiano!! He came reportedly from Monreale near Palermo, Sicely but even that is unconfirmed in the records of Baptisims. Some books has his city misspelled as Montreale (with T added in error) which is near central Italy (actually spelled Montereale), not Sicely. The name Panormo as I have read in 'Javolec' is Italian for the Latin name Panormus, the name given to the whole region before the Punic wars (2nd century or so). At the time of the Hart book, they had not yet learned of his true family name or made mention of it in the text. Later I assume it was discovered that the name Panormo was some version the region he was from and had adopted as his name. Clever if you ask me. About him he does write this;

"Vincenzo Panormo was the slave of many, manufacturing Double Basses and other instruments from the material selected and purchased by his temporary employer, ofttimes compelled to carry out some crotchet of the patron much against his own wishes. The wood thus forced upon him was often the worst description; and, in addition, he was frequently obliged to complete his work within a given time. Instruments manufactured under such conditions can scarcely, it may be supposed, add to the makers reputation. We cannot but regret that he should have been obliged to waste himself on such poor materials. Fortunately, however, in some cases he found time to exercise his skilful powers to their full extent, and has thus bequeathed to us some of the finest specimens of the copyist's art." George Hart, London 1884.

Coming from Dublin via Paris, Panormo arrived at his final destination in London around 1791 where he found employment in the shop of John Betts. It may be in a shop like this that the reference above is made from. I have seen a few basses attributed to the Betts shop and one of them is 4/4 bass and is authentic and labeled. That bass may be slightly before Panormos arrival in London...