View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Panormo and Hart..

Last night we had our season opening concert and one of the players in the section asked if he could try the Panormo out in concert. He came over to the shop late afternoon and picked it up. In the section of 4 basses was a 35-40 year old large Pollmann made to look like a Panormo or D'salo but had a roundback and was labeled Fendt model. The other bass was a large 7/8 or 4/4 model Shen Rogeri or Panormo model. I was playing the Hart. Size wise, the Hart was actually the smallest bass there. By size, not sound!

I was on the 1st stand with the Hart and the Panormo was on the 4th. The two poor guys in the middle were overpowered. I mentioned before hand for them to play out a little more unless the conductor tones us down.

We (the section) 'were noticed' by the comments I heard from some of the players afterwords. Only 4 basses but two powerful classics and two fairly loud and powerful modern instruments. It made me play harder in some sections, that's for sure. On stage, the Panormo (school of) bass looks fantastic, size and color alike.