Thread: Bass I.D. help
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool origin and pics..

I would like to see the Back and the Scroll/peg box by itself as well as any other details you can see with your eye. This will help ID the Bass. From your pics, I cannot tell if the Bass was refinished or not or just altered.

Regardless of adding any pics, the Bass is a Germanic style/central European Bass. This includes Germany, German/Austrian Tirol, Bohemia/western Czech near Germany and Hungary. Austrian/Viennese Basses as well as Prague Czech Basses are less Germanic looking and more individualistic to the trained eye.

Value is a combination or origin (pedigree), condition and sound. A carved Bass in good repair costs a minimum of $2-3,000 or about half in Pounds (GBP/Quid!). This is a minimum one would pay at a commercial sale for a carved Germanic Bass. $5k-$25k is the range on average depending on the actual Bass of this origin. Private sales can be anything higher or lower.

Show us some more and maybe better detailed pics and maybe we can get closer. This does not look that new at all either. From the pics it looks to be at least 50-70 years old and maybe even a 100 or so. How original the varnish is or touched up can alter the look of the actual age.

Also, look at some of my Bass pages and post the standard measurements for us. If you need help how and where to exactly measure, just ask. CMs will be fine. One of us Yanks with a calculator can do the conversion in inches for you if needed.