View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Juzek..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
Those name changes were what I remembered reading about; thank you for the clarification. Like you, I don't understand how a bass could grow a new label, though as a point of reference, my early 60's Juzek (the date is a best guess from the old Bass Viol Shop in Cincinnati) has a label that appears to be a Xerox (or whatever they had before 'real' copiers). Perhaps the distributor in New York was out of paper labels the day mine came through...
The Labels were probably on a sheet that they cut out one by one. I don't recall a single Juzek with a date inside them. I have seen a few older pre-War Anton Wilfer instruments that were imported by Juzek that were dated by Wilfer but never a date from Juzek. Juzek IS the importer, not the maker. One Wenzle Wilfer bass I bought from them was dateless as well. I wrote in a date in blue ink to make the year I first saw that bass in the shop. It could have been older BUT, 100 years from now someone will thank me for at least some reference of time. In my case, I made sure the inked date looked different from the printed label so they know it was done afterwards and not by the maker.

I would have to call Juzek and see if they remember writing dates on the labels. Often, they would just warehouse the instruments and put in a label when they set it up before shipping. I have also seen generic type German basses with Juzek labels that look nothing like a Juzek as well as basses attributed to Juzek or the Juzek shop. GUYS, there never was a Juzek Shop making Basses and Juzek himself (John/Jan) never made a bass in his life according to his Nephew Bobby. They were all contracted.

So, on that note, if I haven't seen your bass, now would be a good time to look at the instrument (back too mainly) as well as the label and see if it's all Kosher, or Juzek..