View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Joining the registers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
In my constant endeavour to play better I have experienced a little problem. I am comfortable playing anywhere on the bass. When I play in half position I am standing with my left hand in the air and I'm supporting my bass with my hip and my left knee. As I climb further into thumb position, I guess you could say that I'm almost laying on the bass. This is, in fact, a comfortable position to be in and, when I head back down to the lower end of the bass, it takes a little effort to stand up again. This means that my transition from low to high and back requires a bit of body effort that tends to make one want to stay at one end of the bass when improvising and playing with the bow. Now, you might just say,
"Don't be lazy."
That might be the answer. Any thoughts?
Oh, you mean connecting the registers.. I didn't get your meaning at first until I read thru your post again. Try sitting on a Stool. It keeps things more even. Also, loosing some, ah, of your mid section will help take the strain off your back. After rehearsal last night I jumped on the tread mill. Not for long though, my warm apple pie was getting cold..lol

I worked off about 40 calories on the tread mill in just a few minutes. Then to keep up my stature, I put 430 calories back on by eating a piece of pie.. oops..

I gotta figure a way to do the reverse.. More off than on..