View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Ah, so my friends were right after all. This particular instrument was bought as an investment by a subdivision of a Norwegian bank, and is now supposed to be played worldwide, I think. This was only its third flight trip I believe, Styffe was a bit concerned that something would happen sometime. He stored it in one of Rabbath Jr's flight cases. I think, if I'm allowed to read between the lines, that he would like to have it stationed somewhere in an orchestra or ensemble, hinting towards four of the Oslo Phil's basses that had gotten quite demolished on tour despite the flight case storage as he was.

My five cent is that it would probably come better to its right in an ensemble. It had this huge, warm, resonant sound which would be a bliss to have backing up a symphony. It didn't project very well - but isn't this typical for old, matured basses? Huge sound that fills the hall with fundament, but too smooth and nice to cut through... it rather backs things up.

But as long as the foundation's regulations forces Styffe to take it one the road, I think he is quite happy to do so. It would take quite the veteran not to get excited every time he touches a da Salo. It was in stunning condition, too. It's nice to see an instrument that apparently has been treated with due respect from day one... and this particular day one was a long time ago!!