Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool yo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Tuomikoski View Post
--- "neck possibly replaced in the 1700s"----

So how old is the bass?

Is it even the same company?

I bet if the bass sounds superb, the violin must be great too.

I thought Stradivarius were expensive. Am I wrong? I guess so.

Wish I had access to a bass that was 1/10,000 of the value of Dragonetti's bass.
That Violin ad is a fraud. made maybe 3 weeks ago in Hungary. Worth maybe $300., period.

A real d'Salo Voilin, Bass, Viola, Cello.. anything from him or Maggini, upwards from $500,000. A Strad Violin, upwards from a Million$$.

These instruments do not sell on Ebay and if advertised there, is from a BIG and Famous Violin shop. There are not that many of them. There are probably 10x more Strads than Maggini's and d'Salos combined that have survived or that were made as only half the Strads survive.

You ask about the bass and the company? These are People, not companies that made them and that is a Violin on Ebay, not a bass.

Quote:
Wish I had access to a bass that was 1/10,000 of the value of Dragonetti's bass.
No you don't. Do your math. A set of strings will cost more than 1/10,000 of any bass, Draginetti's d'Salo included and the Bass in question in this thread was Bottesini's. Still, I doubt either of their former d'Salos would fetch more than a Million$$. Two of them sold after that Expo I posted and they were closer to Half a Mil' than a Mil' from what I have heard. Maybe I could ask the appraiser who I know that did the Papers for those sales.