View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Junior Posting Member

Alex Verbree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Sure, some basses are going to do better with lower tension. The thickness of a string really doesn't have much to do with the tension though; I mean, who knows what's really inside. And with a proper setup, ease of playing shouldn't really be much of an issue, let alone a deciding factor that overrides good tone...
forgive me, the last section of my comment was a little dramatic. Most bass strings ARE thick cables in comparison to other instrumental strings, but that's neither here nor there .

But that being said, at the end of your comment you imply that heavier tension strings are going to have a better tone on a proper setup, while at the beginning you say some basses will do better with lower tension.

I don't think that either heavier tension or lighter tension strings are a cure-all to any bass players tone or playing woes. I go with lower tension strings because i like they way they feel under my hands, and I like the sound I can get from them. You, from your comments, seem to prefer a heavier tensioned string. There's nothing wrong with either of our views.

What I AM trying to say is to assume that those whom are buying lower tensioned strings are players "with no chops putting a priority on jazz but who also have to bow on occasion" is just a fallacy. I am not alone in my use of Bel Cantos for classical orchestral playing, and in my opinion, the higher the tension, does not necessarily a better orchestral string make.

regards,

Alex