View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Ok, but don't give up on bowing. Get a good teacher and study the Bow properly. Bowing practice will take you to new places. The pain is worth the gain. Bad technique will cause cramps in minutes or even seconds. Bowing will strengthen even your left hand playing. That is a fact.
Respectfully, Ken, after talking to my physician, and taking Tylenol and ice packs at the limit (I can't take anything else like ibuprofin due to a genetic clotting disorder), the pain is not worth the gain. After all the other injuries over the years, it makes it worse, not better. I wish it were different. But it's not. The guy who works with me, who I've known since we were 14 in band camp together, has taught for decades and is a bass player himself, not just a general strings teacher. The guy who reviewed my setup is a bass guy also, not just a general strings repairman, and has passed on my setup. Both have played my bass.

Oh, well, I've carried on too long. For what I am doing right now, the Bels are great. Thanks for everybody's help and encouragement. It's time for someone else to take a turn talking about them.