Thread: 'The Bass'
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Is it hard to handle without corners to lift it?
I'd love to hear this bass. Any chance of posting a little recording?
Richard, there is no way that Computer Speakers could have the slightest chance in reproducing what this Bass sounds like. In Recording, you can make a cheap Chinese Bass sound deeper than a 100k Italian. In the room, it will shake your guts and make your ear drums close for protection as it has sub-sonic undertones and pure thick fundamental Bass tones on every note not to mention severe carrying power as it has a reputation for 30+ years in the Pennsylvania Ballet for being heard over the Orchestra up in the 'nose bleed' section no doubt and that's in a bad acoustical sounding theater!

I have played dozens of old Italian Basses and this one has the thickest sound I have heard overall. The G string sounds like it's as thick as a finger! Only a few Basses ever that I have played comes close to this one in pure tone. I don't know if a Mic or Pick-up even exists that could actually record all the frequencies and colors of this Bass let alone speakers to reproduce it. Take my word for it, it's a good Bass!! Real real good Bass....Fixed or broken even..

Oh, lifting? Yes, not the easiest Bass to move around. I used it on 3 rehearsals and one concert. Then Arnold told me not to play it anymore until it gets fixed. I have de-tuned the Bass and have it sitting in my rack. When the Hart Bass is completed I will bring this up to Arnold to restore. If all goes well, I will have it for part of the 2008-2009 Orchestra season.

Until then I will be stuck(lol) with playing my other Basses..

Wanna play it? Get your butt over here before Arnold takes it apart. When it's all fixed and restored, the string length will be 42" max.. Right now it's at a full size length at 44 1/2" or so. A Mans Bass!