View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sheridan View Post
One of the most import ways of identifying an instrument is to know what the genuine label looks like. Brinser did a service by showing us copies of labels from violins he had purchased directly from the makers. So they are both a source of help and a source of tomfoolery. That's also somewhat true with all of the books that have copies of labels, it's just that the Brinser book is the most reliable for 20th centruy Italian makers and they in turn are the ones whose identities are being co opted.

So far as I know, Carol Berzoni (III?) and G. B Guadanini are considered to be the last of the Cremonese makers from the golden period. I'm not sure of the exact period or number of years, but there were no makers in Cremona for a long time. It is believed that the Ceruti were self taught (though their instruments are exceptionally well crafted and designed), and I think there are many sources that say that the direct line of maker to apprentice died out. I've seen two or three dozen 19th and up to mid 20th century Italian violins and they are pretty crude by comparison to the earlier makers. Their work was often haphazard, or we might even say somewhat artistic, but at least they knew the classic design. In the late 19th century and early 20th century there are some real stand outs like the Bisiachs and the Antonazzis but most of them are the also rans. Workmanship and varnish are crude. I know a man who went to the Italian school in Cremona in the early 70s and he said they did not even teach varnishing and knew nothing about how to produce a good varnish. He had to learn it later. He said that the only varnish they made was straight shellac. I worked on a cello made at the school in 1974, this was in 76 or 77 and it was fairly crude and had a butt ugly varnish. Of course since it was "Italian" (by an American) the price paid was astronomical for the time.
Carol Berzoni (III?) and G. B Guadanini?

Who is Carol Berzoni? Do you mean Carlo Bergonzi?

G. B Guadanini? You mean G.B. GuadaGnini, right? By the way, he was NOT from Cremona, sorry. The Gaud. family mainly worked in and around Turin, not Cremona.

Ceruti reportedly learned from Storioni and took over his shop. Storioni is considered to be the last great or traditional Cremona maker but both G.B Ceruti and his son Giuseppe were great in their own right as well. This info I offer only from what I have read. No one I know was alive back then! I have seen a Bass by each of them. Outstanding to say the least.