View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool learned from..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sheridan View Post
Thanks for the correctins especially on the spellings. I shuda kept my books. Bergonzi mispelling was a typo, Guadagnini a mistake.
I thought Resengard had said Ceruti was self taught. If he learned from Storioni it would certainly explain the quality of both father and son's work.
First off, was just trying to avoid confusion. With the books, we are all smart.. lol

As far as who learned from whom, we weren't there so we go with the flow until proven wrong. On Martini for instance, most books say he learned from S.Scarampella. One dealer in modern Italian Violins who actually might have been associated with Brinser (sold me my Brinser book as well) said that Martini may have known Scarampella and consulted with him but was NOT his pupil for Violin making. In these days, you hang out in a shop, ask a few questions, go home and try a few things and then tell people you learned from that person. No formal enrollment required, just a different perspective on 'learning from'! In the case of Samuel Gilkes and John Thomas Hart there are documents on record of his apprenticeship contract so there's no mystery there.