View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool neck angle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
What's the neck angle and bridge height like to get spacing that wide?
You mean in degrees? I don't know exactly but the Overstand is 30mm (1 3/16+") original, the String Spacing is 27.5mm (1 3/32") string to string, center to center and the Bridge height is 6 1/4" with the strings at the end of the fingerboard low at 4mm height on the G and 9mm on the E, the B is at 8mm off the FB. The FB is 4" wide at the end, 33 7/8" long and goes up to a 'B' at the end with a String Length of 41 3/4".

The spacing is wide and with the low string height, I can just barely clear the C-bouts on the outer strings with the Bow. If the spacing was narrower, the strings would be moved slightly inwards moving the outer string higher up on the bridge slightly for clearance as the overhang on the sides of the outer strings is playable but much less than a regular 4-string. Usually we see basses like this at 25-26mm spacing but with the wide board, why not go wider? The only improvement I could suggest is the neck being moved out to 35-40mm for the bridge to go higher off the Top to clear the Bouts better with still a low string height if desired. Still, I think I can play this bass and plan to try it at an Orchestra rehearsal or two in the least when the season starts.