Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb differences..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Freitas View Post
I notice that some Smith basses come with the GB7 tuning
machines and the newer ones have the GB707. Any difference
other than the shape of the key?

Just curious.
Internally I don't think so. I was at the Gotoh factory in 1989 and I was quite impressed. Also, they took my to a nice Italian restaurant just around the corner. Imagine that!

I was informed by Japan that they would stop making the GB7's but with my left over inventory in 3 colors of left and right side gears. the offered to make for me what ever I needed to even up my inventory into even-matched sets for our basses.

Then, the next order was all the new style gears. The handle is different and the shaft is slightly different. I am not aware of any of the internal workings being different inside.

A few years ago, again I was told the newer model gears (707's? .. I am not actually aware of the model names anymore) would be discontinued as well and I would have to pick something else for the catalog for my gears. Shortly after I was informed that if I bought them 1,000 gears at a time as opposed to the 400 gears I was previously required to buy (to have them customized with the Smith Logo), I could keep that style and they would make them custom for me.

So, the current Gears we have are made to order when we need them.