View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Poplar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
Great question Adrian-very helpful answers ken and Arnold-thanks

What's the opinion of using domestic poplar for the sides and back. If you would recommend poplar, is there a certain type of poplar grown in the U.S. that is preferred.?
I think most of the Italians that used it did it by convenience and so did the few others who made basses and Cellos with it in the old days. Some may have thought it bedded for the deep tone. Modern makers using figured Poplar do it for whatever reasons they think makes it good. I have two modern basses with Poplar, a Lombardi from 1981 and a Sirleto from 1992. I am pretty sure the wood is Poplar on the back and sides BUT, this is Italian Poplar. I don't think we have anything here in the State that is similar.

For me, I think that maple projects the sound the best. All of my 'loud' basses have been maple of one kind or another. This includes Bosnian, American Sugar Maple, English Sycamore, the maple used by the French and Oppio, the Italian local Maple. Of course, it helps if the bass is a good bass as well.

For the work it takes to make a good bass, why would anyone bother with cheap or unknown woods? Walnut also works well as I have seen a few basses from it. This includes Italian local Walnut, American Black Walnut and west coast Claro Walnut.

It would be impossible to guess how THAT bass would be if a different wood was used unless, you make 2, 3, 4 or more Basses with matched Tops from the same Log and used a different species of back/sides sets for each bass.

Arnold has made one bass with Red maple sides that worked as well. It is softer so the back would need to be thicker in spots. Harder wood can go thinner from what I have seen. This goes for Tops as well.