View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Junior Posting Member

John Cubbage is on a distinguished road
Default Sunn and Kustom

[quote=Eric Hochberg;27786]My first bass amp was late 60's when I started playing in high school. It was a Baldwin with a 15" and 12" speaker. I remember it as being a good, solid amp. I bought a Dual Showman cabinet when I got to college, but for the life of me, I can't remember what I powered it with... The guitar player in my college rock band was using the Baldwin and dug it. I also started using a borrowed Kustom amp with three 15" speakers for our big gigs.

My first amp as a pro player in Chicago (1974) was a Sunn Concert head paired with a Sunn folded cab design with an 18" speaker. Killer bass guitar rig that I had heard Paul Jackson using with the Headhunters band. Not so great for double bass though and a ***** to carry up to my second floor apartment.

I remember the Fender Dual Showman two piece amps, and I recall that the Kustom amps were big but had no experience with them. I was not familiar with the Baldwin or Sunn amps. I was out of the bass amp market news by the early 1970s, so you'll be among the experts with information about them.

- Dr. C.