View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up nice..

Looks big.. lol

My stand partner has one by Pollmann similar to this. I don't know if it was a Kolstein import at the time but was back in 1984 or so.

His is marked Fendt model, a name which Kolstein promoted as well.

Here's the thing about both your bass and my friends. Maggini and Fendt (who sort of copied the Maggini/d'Salo model) made these models in a Flatback. I don't recall ever seeing either of them with a Roundback as Maggini and his master d'Salo made all of their Bass 'instruments' as Flatbacks. I say 'instruments as not all of them (or maybe any of them?) were made as 3 or 4 string Double basses but have since (the few real ones that are certified) been converted for modern playing over the last 200 years or so, possibly more.

The person/maker that combined the Maggini style model with a Roundback was Panormo! So, any of these broad shouldered 'Maggini-like' Basses are really Panormo copies, not Maggini copies. The double Purfling may be a 'feature' used both by Maggini and d'Salo but not exclusively. That is the main thing I see that points directly to Maggini but not the back, lower bouts or f-holes.

Both the Brecian model by Maggini and d'Salo as well as the Panormo Roundback have a pronounced angle break from the middle of the upper part of the upper bout.

The lower bout width looks more like a Hawkes Panormo copy than Maggini or Panormo as the real models they made were quite wide at the bottom.

Still, it's a nice looking bass. Enjoy it.