View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Extensions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Budnyk View Post
I find the extension to work very well, although there seems to be a little bit of sympathetic vibrations going through it. I find that the chromatic could be better, if harder to use, than the mechanical because of the buzzing, but it isn't anything the audience would be able to hear AND most of the players in NY Phil appeared to be using mechanicals so I think that is something that is common.
NOTE: The buzzing only occurs on the open G and Ab on the G string and only while playing pizzacato and it definitely comes from the Extension. Rather odd.
In most Orchestras with mechanical extensions you will find that they are quite old, most of them. In the same orchestras, the chromatic manual types are the newer ones. The metal flute-like noisy extensions are slowly being replaced by the lighter ebony/wood manual chromatic or single latched extensions. Very few mechanical extensions are being put on new today. Just call shops around the country and see what they put on basses today providing they are putting or making something good for the professional. A bad extension, any kind doesn't work at all in the long run.