View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question works well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Budnyk View Post
I find the extension to work very well, although there seems to be a little bit of sympathetic vibrations going through it. I find that the chromatic could be better, if harder to use, than the mechanical because of the buzzing, but it isn't anything the audience would be able to hear AND most of the players in NY Phil appeared to be using mechanicals so I think that is something that is common.
NOTE: The buzzing only occurs on the open G and Ab on the G string and only while playing pizzacato and it definitely comes from the Extension. Rather odd.
So Sam, is this the Stenholm or Facwett Extension? I think the Facwett is chromatic with the keys from nut to bridge in direction and the Stenholm is in reverse, correct?

Which one do you have? I ask because I might consider trying one on a bass of mine just for those times when it's easier in the music than the fingered chromatic. I hear that for the most part, the Facwett is better but that on some pieces, the Stenholm reverse chromatic works easier depending on the music.

Looking just now on the web at both the Tom Martin site and Lemur site while making this post, yours looks like the English Facwett from the finger shape and the Stenholm must be what I had before it was busted in a car accident in late '72. I only had it for a little more than a year or so but did get some use out of it.